Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Business (Guilt) Trip

This week I had a whirlwind business trip -- five different meetings in two cities over three days and two nights. Thankfully, I don't have to travel alot for work and when I do, it's typically a one or two day trip. So this was a particularly long one for me.

Business travel for a working mom always has its pros and cons. For a short time, I get to revert back to my single, unattached days -- no screaming kids, a big QUIET room and bed all to myself and complete freedom to do what I want, uninterrupted, for hours at a time. But it also means big stress of having to tie up loose ends at home, delegate all of my usual mommy duties for the time I'm gone and the ultimate con of not being able to see Hubby and the girls for an extended period of time.

Between Hubby and the best. nanny. in. the. world., the girls are well taken care of. And it doesn't seem like I'm missing much every time I call home:

Amy: Hi, sweetie!!! How are you?
Kid (could be either one): Good.
Amy: What's going on?
Kid: Nothing.
Amy: How was school today?
Kid: Good.
Amy: Anything new?
Kid: Um....no.

If I'm lucky I might get an anecdote about an incident on the playground or a report about a playdate. But I usually have to rely on Nanny for any pertinent information.

It was a productive trip for work, I actually got to have dinner with my parents while I was in New York, and knowing all was well at home, I was feeling ok about being gone. That is, until I arrived home.

"MOOOOOOOOMMY!!!!" the normally low-key and unaffectionate Boss comes running and plows into me with a big hug. She hands me a folded piece of yellow construction paper with her shaky kindergarten handwriting on it.

"I made you a welcome home card," she tells me excitedly. "Read it!!!"

Of course I immediately open it and read "I missed you deer mom I wish you had a good time on your business (with backward 's'es) trip Imissed you I am going to be excited to come home today!"

Hello, Guilt, my old friend.

I hope Sarah Palin is ready for this.
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anissa Mayhew said...

You know what? There's something to be said for being missed and appreciating each other even more. I tell people all the time that I am a better mom when I have the chance to miss my kids for a while, remember what I adore about being a mom.

PunditMom said...

I wonder if she has any mommy guilt?

the mama bird diaries said...

I don't think Sarah Palin has a lot of guilt. But maybe I'm wrong.

So cute that your daughter made you a welcome home card.