Friday, June 6, 2008

She's a Democrat-ican

Angel and I got to spend some quality time together on the plane coming home from New York. Sometimes quality time is overrated.

The political discussion began when Angel, hoping to get her little sister in trouble, decided to tell her die-hard Obama-supporting father that The Boss was hoping Hillary Clinton would become President.

Comforted by the fact that 5 year olds can't vote, Hubby replied, "Everyone's entitled to their opinion, honey."

Knowing that Angel was an Obama supporter, I asked her why she liked Obama.

"Well, I just think a man should be President," she said without much thought.

O. M. G. Kill me. Kill me now. Although I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same kid who always insists on having the blue "man" peg be in the drivers side of the little plastic car when we play the game "Life." Where, oh where did I go wrong?!!!

After an unsuccessful debate about how women can do anything men can (yes, she agreed, but she still thinks a man should be the President), she asked when the Presidential election would be over. I explained the difference between the primaries and the general election and got into describing the differences between Democrats and Republicans.

"Democrats believe that our government should help people who have trouble helping themselves and Republicans believe that we should pay less taxes to the government because everyone should be able to help themselves." I explained.

"Yeah, I believe in the second thing you said," she said.

SHE'S A REPUBLICAN TOO?!!!!

So if she didn't believe in paying taxes, I challenged her, how are we going to pay for things we need like roads and schools?

"I have an idea! Ok, what if, like, every state had a state fair. And every ride could be like five dollars. And then like parking would be five dollars. And then they could sell things in the gift shop! Everyone could come to the fair, have a good time and we could make lots of money!"

I didn't have the heart to point out the overhead costs of putting on a fair. But I loved her creative thinking and told her so.

"But Barack Obama is a Democrat. How can you be a Republican and like Barack Obama?" I asked her.

She thought about it for a moment and said, "Well, I guess I'm a Democrat-ican."

I don't know. I could maybe live with that.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is too funny and not funny too I realize.

When do we become "girls"? I would like to know how that seems to happen even when there is a conscious effort of the parents' part to fight the genderization.

Thanks for your comment on MSU by the way. You know, I never gave leaving the work force as much thought as I am giving re-entering.

And the Feminine Mistake made me crazy too because it's assumptions about the dangers of leaving the "rat race" are based on the male model of life. When will we demand our on version? Stop playing by rules that don't fit us at all?