Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yey, Me Part II

I think we'll make this a series. The Yey, Me series.

I'm a Georgia voter yet again. I voted in today's excruciatingly exciting Dekalb County primary election. I got to vote for a bunch of people who were running unopposed, one candidate that I had kind of heard of and one that I actually met. I also voted for something that I am completely clueless about. It read something like this:

Shall the Act be approved which provides a homestead exemption from DeKalb County School District ad valorem taxes for educational purposes in the amount of $2,500.00 of the assessed value of the homestead for certain residents of that school district in each taxable year in which a sales and use tax for educational purposes is imposed and collected in such school district for any portion of that year pursuant to Article VIII, Section VI, Paragraph IV of the Constitution.

Huh? I swear I stood there for five minutes trying desperately to decipher what this meant and then gave up and just voted yes. So did I vote for increased taxes or not? And are the taxes for schools or what? Why do they do this? I'm a reasonably intelligent person and I have no idea what I just voted for. Why should I need a law degree to understand a referendum? Even Hubby who's a financial planner and knows tax stuff wasn't quite clear on what this was. Come on!

But the real controversial issue of the election was whether our little unincorporated part of Dekalb County, Dunwoody, would become a city. While we understood this issue, this one stumped Hubby and I too. It's so hard to know whether cityhood would be the right thing, whether we'd get better service with our own city government or whether we'd end up paying more in the end. The ultimate outcome will really depend on how competent the future city officials turn out to be. But most Dunwoodians seemed to be for it and the "Dunwoody, Yes!" people were so enthusiastic and had such cheery shirts and signs.



I voted yes to that too. What can I say? MOO.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yey you!!

I can't participate in politics up here. Not even a resident yet but maybe someday.