Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Scripting my BlogHer Stump Speech

So BlogHer is in a couple of days (HOLYMOTHEROFGOD!!!!). I'm a BlogHer newbie, and from what I can tell through the Twittervine, you're supposed to pack every piece of clothing you own, some slutty cocktail dresses, comfortable shoes (do flip flops look good with a stapless?!) and some business cards with your blog info. You're also supposed to come prepared with a 3-second stump speech about your blog so that when you meet new people, you can tell them what you blog about.

I've been giving this alot of thought. It's a good opportunity to reconfirm what this blog really is about. What should I say when someone asks me what I blog about?

"Well, I um...I blog about moms and moms doing good things. Because, like, moms do awesome things, but they like never do enough for themselves. So I like tell them that they need to do more stuff for themselves and do more for moms in general."

Uh, not so much.

Then I got a chance to actually practice, in real life, when a friend asked me what my blog was about,

"It's called Up With Moms and it's about Moms sticking up for themselves. Being a mom is the most soul sucking job on the planet. But Moms really need to stick up for themselves -- in their relationships, in their jobs and in public policy. You know, to maintain any semblance of sanity," I rambled.

Ok, maybe slightly better.

So I've been doing some crafting to really get it down and here's what I've come up with so far:

"Hi, I'm Amy. I blog at Up With Moms where, through my own trials and tribulations, I try to encourage moms to be a mommy advocate in all aspects of our lives -- our relationships, our jobs and our public policies. We moms have to stick up for ourselves!"

Yes? Short??? Sweet??? Interesting???? Makes you want to run right over to the nearest computer to log on and check it out, right???

Alright. I'll keep working on it...
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A stump speech? Well, I made the right decision then not to come this year.

I think yours is good by the way.