Friday, May 23, 2008

My Withdrawal from Stuff: The Month of Not Shopping

Since the indomitable Nataly Kogan from Work It, Mom! has kindly sent all kinds of visitor traffic here this week with her posting on Shine (and if you're here by way of Shine, welcome! Come on in. Look around, make yourself at home!) that mentioned a post I wrote earlier this year about my addiction to stuff and my pledge to not shop for a month, I figured I should do a follow up on how it went.

It went fine, thank you.

Actually, it was alot easier than I thought it was going to be. I got a little antsy toward the end because I "needed" a piece of clothing or two for work. But other than that, I didn't really feel constrained. And while I don't think I'd want to operate that way forever, I am a much better and more conscious spender. I definitely have less stuff as a result.

I also made a frenzied attempt to clean out my closets and drawers that same month to get rid of the extraneous stuff I already had. That really felt good. It's now nice to be able to see stuff -- the stuff I truly use -- in my closet and drawers (not the mention the fact that I can open my drawers now).

So if you're planning to pare down on your spending (gas prices what they are, now's as good a time as any), I highly recommend it. 'Cuz we really don't need ALL THAT STUFF!!!
Share/Bookmark

No comments: